Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Once in a Very Great While, I Wish that I Had a Personal Blog

I've got a writing blog (you're there), a dog blog, as social/legal commentary blog, a search terms humor blog and a Catholic blog, but I don't have a personal blog--that blog where people include photographs of their children after they've managed to fingerpaint the household pets and such--and I rarely have need for one. But every once in a while, something happens that I want to write about.

It's never something big and compelling. It's never, frankly, something that WARRANTS writing down. And that's a good thing, because if it did, I'd probably start another blog...that's what I usually do when I have something to say that doesn't fit any of my existing blogs. Fortunately, so far, it's always been something you really don't want to hear about.

Yesterday, for instance, I was halfway across the parking lot at the train station when I noticed that I was wearing two different shoes.

Now, I'm not especially fashion conscious and it's not all that unusual for me to get to work and realize that I never changed into the shoes I planned to wear--my basic black flats see a lot of action no matter what I'm wearing. But this...well, when I showed them to my 11-year-old last night she said, "How do you make a mistake like that?"

Darned if I know. I was in a hurry. It was semi-dark in my bedroom when I put my shoes on. That MIGHT explain how I failed to notice that they were two different colors. And that one was plain and the other had a little pattern stamped in it. And that...you know....THEY WERE TWO DIFFERENT COLORS.

But what about the fact that one of them has a bit of a heel and the other doesn't?

Yep, that's right. My shoes weren't just two different colors and styles,but one was flat and the other a low heel.

But don't worry. I noticed as soon as I got to the train station. After I'd, you know, walked out to the car (bright sunlight), cleaned the ice off the car, driven my daughter to my mother's house, walked up to the house, walked back to the car, driven to the train station and walked the block or so to the train station parking lot.

This is what I saw when I finally looked down:





















Of course, the moment I noticed, it became difficult to walk in one flat shoe and one low heel.


Although I hesitate to admit just how far outside the fashion loop I am, had it just been color I would probably have ignored it and gone on with my life. But the whole not being able to walk thing was starting to bug me, so on my way to work I stopped in Old Navy. I didn't really think that Old Navy sold shoes, but it's down the block from my office, and Macy's doesn't open until ten.

I bought some little black canvas ballet slippers that were too flat for the pants I had on and not really seasonal, but matched my clothes (and each other) and had the added advantage of...um...being the same height. The fact that they were lightweight canvas slip-ons didn't seem to be a big deal...

While I was at work, this happened:

9 comments:

Barb Matijevich said...

I readily admit that I've done two different colored shoes --like basically the same shoe but one navy and one black. But THIS --this is about the funniest thing I've ever read. Especailly because I know how incredibly smart and observant you are. It gives me hope, and a much needed giggle.

And Tori's reaction.. ah, gosh, it's priceless.

Unknown said...

That's awesome! I salute your fashion, erm, misstep.

I once had a friend who was caught wearing socks of different colors.

"Your socks don't match," I said, as people do in these situations.
"Yes, they do."
"They're two different colors!"
"I match by thickness," was his reply.
Priceless.

Suburban Correspondent said...

Yes, that outdoes me, also. Once, I went out with my husband to a restaurant and was feeling like a million bucks because I got dressed up and right as we were about to walk in, I realized that I had slipped off my dress shoes at home and put on my "regular" shoes for comfort(regular, as in they go with jeans, but definitely not dresses) and had never taken them back off. I looked pathetic. Particularly since I was pregnant at the time.

I think I would have noticed sooner, though, if one were half an inch higher than another. That is really incredible. You win.

Peter said...

Hi! If it's any consolation I can hardly tell them apart. Hope that makes you feel better - Regards Peter.

Meghna said...

Hi, you know you made a great discovery. Eureka!!!

That it is difficult to walk with 2 shoes of different heights. (That too when you actually realized it).

Thanks for sharing :)

ici said...

Cute! I'll be having that trouble soon enuf with a baby on the way. Blocked by a certain 'view'.

Those shoes must be so comfortable u didn't even realize it. Them shoes are for keeps!!!

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

MS said...

I've consciously put on unmatching socks, but you've reached a new level. It reminds me of the childhood dream of getting to school and realizing I had forgotten to dress. (Am I the only one?)

And then the snow.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think you've made a powerful fashion statement.