Sunday, June 10, 2007

Easy Options for ESL Writing

A solution fell into my lap this week, not for a problem I have but for one I hear about all the time.

I work in a major metropolitan area with--like any major metropolitan area--a mix of people from all over the world. Just a few weeks ago, in making small talk on the way to the train station, a cab driver asked me what I did for a living. When I told him I was a writer, he asked me how he could improve his writing skills; English was his second language and he said that he was much more comfortable speaking and writing, but he was working two jobs and didn't have time to take a class.

The conversation wasn't a new one for me, but it's one I've always hated, because I'm a "fixer", and I didn't have an answer. Today, I learned about an online ESL writing class that looks like it might be just the kind of flexible and affordable solution I've never been able to point to before. Best of all, I'm acquainted with the teacher through Blog Catalog, and given the level of energy and willingness to help she shows in that forum (where she has no official obligation to anyone and no one is paying her), I'm very confident about the level of service and attention this program will provide.

2 comments:

lisa q. said...

thank you so much for the mention! i soooooo appreciate it! :D

Anonymous said...

Great blog Tiffany and lets hope that paper is here to stay! Nothing wrong with e comms of course!! Hi from Dubai and happy flower smelling writer...